Tuesday, March 3, 2015

Frame Stock

Even though installing frames is a while away, I recently seized the opportunity to get some good quality, green, white oak. I've already milled out the frames for the SeaMew restoration and some were installed. Ideally the frames would be green when installing in the Matinicus, but the best I can hope for is to do a good job air drying. Since the rough boards are ~2" thick, 6-8" wide, and 8-9' long, I decided to re-saw and rip some rough, thinner pieces for bent frames. Hopefully the smaller stock will dry evenly with less checking. Since this also introduces more surface air to speed drying I decided to give the smaller oak pieces a few coats of raw linseed oil. This should slow drying (and checking) and will still be fairly easy on tools when shaping the stock to size. Each frame with be around 1" wide and 7/16" thick. We'll see how it goes.


No comments:

Post a Comment