Monday, February 23, 2015

Matinicus Updates (a.k.a. 'Greenbrier')

Well the Matinicus Double-Ender is still nothing but hopes, lines on paper, and money spent. But, progress has been made.


In January I re-sawed all of my thick planking stock with the help of Gordon Plume of GR Plume & Co. Gordon has a nice re-saw machine (horizontal bandsaw) which makes the task pretty painless. I now have around 20 pieces of yellow cedar which are 9/16" thick. The finished planking will be either 7/16" or 3/8" thick. The jury's still out. A nice benefit of accurate re-sawing is a small pile of 1/8"-1/4" veneers left over for a horde of projects: bent-wood boxes, skin-on-frame boats, etc.

It's premature, I realize, but I've settled on the name of Greenbrier for the boat. This will necessitate that some portion of the boat is painted green. Being from the mid-Atlantic, greenbrier is a good reminder of the Piedmont and Appalachian foothills back home.

After much internal debate and valuable feedback from other double-ender builders I'm just about certain that I will be switching to a very similar matinicus design. So far I've been planning around the Walt Simmons 16' design. I've come to realize that on the scale of "row vs. sail" the Simmons design favors being a good rowboat. However John Gardner's 15' matinicus double-ender (that he documented from a photo) is wider and has fuller-bilges which makes it a less tender/tippy and generally more stable sailing boat for its size. Another huge benefit of the John Gardner design is that it's publicly available in the "Building Small Craft" book series, and there's no additional cost for the lines or offsets. A photo of the lines is below:

15' is a bit smaller than I'd like to go, so I've been (slowly) drawing out a stretched version to scale at home to make sure I feel good about the alteration. I've simply added 1.5" between each station, which stretches the 15' design to 16' 3". Gardner's boat is a 'true' peapod as the forward and aft-halves are entirely symmetrical. Here's a photo of my slow drawing:
It's a longer side-story, but I found some old drafting ducks (odd-shaped black blobs above) and ended up sand-blasting, repainting, and installing allen-wrench hooks to make them usable for drafting. I also built a simple hinged drafting table. Side projects are an easy distraction to the core task at hand. The clear spline above I'm using to draw the sheer is a strip of polycarbonate from a local glass shop. 

As mentioned in the previous post, I also stocked up on some green & air-dried white oak while I had the chance so I now have good stock for the steam bent frames once planking is done. I also purchased a large plank of purple-heart to use as the plank-keel in the boat. I'm still searching for pieces to use in the three-piece stems used in the bow and stern of the boat. There's a chance I may switch to laminating two stems, but I'm not convinced yet. 

No comments:

Post a Comment